Mercury is undergoing a re-design to work around various chip shortages. In addition the I2S over HDMI is getting polarity settings to provide better compatibility with most I2S DAC's. There is also a new I2S over RJ45 (parallel not LVDS) add that is a compatible with the Denafrips-C pinout. The core Digital Audio circuitry is not changing and will continue to offer some of the highest quality sound possible.
Update on Mercury V2 8/15/2022
The new version will be in the proto stage by mid-September. If all goes well, ordering will be turned on at that time with estimated delivery of late October/Early November. New 3D drawings will be uploaded to this page within the week.
Update on Mercury V2 8/30/2022
In order to acquire enough parts to do a full build of at least 100 units, we have decide to start pre-ordering now. Lead times on key components require this approach. Please be aware that this is a pre-order and units will ship as soon as possible. We still feel late October/Early November, especially if we start ordering the key components now. But it is still just an estimate.
Update on Mercury V2 - 9/17/2022
PCB design for V2 is done and blank boards have been ordered. In addition, parts ordering is complete with no parts issues, other than paying 2x - 3x for some parts! The assembly house order will be submitted next week and once in place we will get an estimated delivery date. We have also secured an additional 100 compute modules (4GB). As noted in the store, units will be delivered with 4GB or 8GB based on stock at time of order. As a streaming platform there is no performance or sound quality (SQ) difference between the modules.
Update on Mercury V2 - 10/19/2022
Parts and PCB's are at the assembly house. Estimated ship date to us is 10/30. It will take a few weeks to work through all the back orders. But they should be in your hands in time for Thanksgiving!
Update on Mercury V2 - 10/11/2022
Our assembly house has slipped their delivery date to us by an additional 2 weeks. They are now telling me I will have them in my hands on the 22nd of this month. This is very disappointing, but they explained to me that some of the parts that they received were not in proper packaging and needed to be placed into reels by hand. This was unfortunately necessary because these particular parts were not available in any other way. Although this was not a huge issue in and of itself, it caused them to set our project aside until that was taken care of and basically restart the job. I had hints of this last week, but did not give you guys update until I had a new delivery date from them.
The silver lining in all of this is that the cases, the front and rear plates, and all the other pieces parts that we need to finish putting these together are already completed. So we are just waiting on the main board to arrive. We will work as many days and hours as are necessary to catch up.
Update on Mercury V2 - 12/3/2022
Late yesterday our assembly house confirmed that the first units will ship to us Monday and arrive Wednesday. I trust this delivery date because they sent me some photos of the work in progress (they had a quick question on the orientation of a part). I could see that all the SMT was complete and they were just finishing the through hole. We hope to start shipping the first units by Friday/Saturday and to complete back orders by the end of the month. As always, your patience and understanding has made this much easier and is greatly appreciated.
Pi 2 Design - Mercury Streamer V2
The major features of the Mercury Streamer are as follows:
- COMPUTE MODULE 4 - This module provides 4 High Performance ARM Cores, Dual 4K HDMI Output, PCIe x1, Gigabit Ethernet, 4/8GB DRAM
- M.2 2280 SSD - A Standard M.2 Socket is provided for NVMe Storage via the CM4 PCI Express x1 Link. The socket supports both “M” and “B” Key devices.
- GIGABIT ETHERNET - A standard RJ45 Provides the interface to the CM4 Gigabit Ethernet I/F.
- DUAL EXTERNAL USB2.0 - This connector provides two USB2.0 Host Ports.
- EXTERNAL HDMI - Two 4K HDMI Connectors provide access to CM4 HDMI 0 and 1
- AES TRANSMITTER – The industry standard WM8804 converts the CM4 I2S stream to AES3/SPDIF formatted data at 24-Bit up to 192Khz Frame Rate
- AES COAX OUTPUT – A 1:1 Isolation Transformer provides Bit Perfect Impedance Controlled Digital Audio Data @ 1V AES Standard Level.
- AES BALANCED OUTPUT – An RS-485 Transmitter with a 1:1 Isolation Transformer provides balanced audio data via the Professional XLR Connector
- TOSLINK OPTICAL OUTPUT – Isolated Optical Transmitter Drives Consumer Level DAC’s
- SPDIF COAX OUTPUT - A 1:1 Isolation Transformer provides Bit Perfect Impedance Controlled Digital Audio Data @ 0.6V Consumer Standard Level.
- DIFFERENTIAL I2S OUTPUT – An LVDS Differential Transmitter drives the I2S Bus over an HDMI Connector. Pinout support most I2S DAC's.
- PARALLEL I2S OUTPUT - The I2S Signals are buffered and accessible via an RJ45. Pinout confirms to the Metrun series of DAC's.
- HIGH RESOLUTION CLOCKS – A pair of Ultra-Low Noise NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators drive the WM8804 in non-PLL mode for the lowest possible noise.
- ULTRA-LOW NOISE LDO’s – Two Ultra-Low Noise LT3042 LDO’s (0.9 uV noise and 80 dB PSRR) are used to supply the WM8804 and the NDK Clock’s.
- LINEAR PRE_REGULATOR - LT2941 LDO 5V pre-regulator allows the entire power chain to be linear when an external linear PSU is used.
- LOW NOISE PCB LAYOUT – 4-layer Split Ground PCB with noise reduction techniques refined from years of High-Speed Mixed-Signal Design work.
- EXTRUDED ALUMINUM ENCLOSURE – Rugged, Aircraft Grade Aluminum, Anodized (box) and Powder Coated (front/rear) for Scratch Resistance
- PRE-PROGRAMMED 32GB SD CARD - Mercury comes with a 32GB SD Card loaded with Volumio 3.x (other OS's TBD)
Q: Do all Mercury outputs work simultaneously?
A: Yes, all digital audio outputs deliver the same audio data at the same time. This includes the RJ45 I2S (V2 only) and I2S over HDMI.
Q: What power supply comes with Mercury ?
A: Mercury is designed to operate with a nominal input voltage 12V (+/- 10%). We provide a High Quality Meanwell 12V @ 3.3A switching supply.
Q: What size is the power Jack on Mercury?
A: Mercury V1 uses a 2.1MM x 5.5MM DC Jack. Mercury V2 uses a 2.5MM x 5.5MM DC Jack.
Q: What pinout is supported by the I2S over HDMI?
A: Mercury V1 supports the PS Audio pinout only. Mercury V2 allows each signal to swap polarity allowing it to connect to virtually all DAC's.
Q: What OS does Mercury support?
A: Mercury supports all known Raspberry PI OS's. Some software will require that the USB Host function be enabled as the CM4 (inside Mercury) does not do that by default. Our pre-configured images have this fix in place. For other OS's see this set of instructions to do this:
V1 Hardware Reference Manual
Getting Started with Volumio
You can skip steps 1-2 and go right to step 3. Do Not Change the I2S DAC settings! This does not refer to the external DAC, but instead is used to load the proper driver for Mercury. See screenshot for the proper setting, but do not change it.
Pre-Configured Volumio SD Card Image - 32GB
Note that the card must be completely erased. Or have a single FAT32 partition for the entire drive (most new cards have this). The Win Disk Imager tool will completely overwrite the drive whereas others do not. This unfortunately makes it much slower.
Pre-Configured Ropieee Image - 32GB
Uncompressed ropieee image (warning, big - 32GB)
Pre-Configured Moode Image
Uncompressed Moode image (warning, big - 32GB)
Mercury V2 Streamer
Compute Module 4 based Digital Audio Streamer. 4GB DRAM, WiFi with 2.4g/5g Antenna, 32GB SD-Card, Meanwell GST40A12-P1J PSU included.
Please be aware that this is a pre-order and units will ship as soon as possible. Estimated delivery to begin in late October/Early November. Special price for pre-orders has ended.
Due to Compute Module supply issues, Mercury will be delivered with 4GB for new orders. Please contact us with any questions.